Musings of a Christian Geek about the Word, Geek Culture, Science, Music, Movies, and anything that is deemed noteworthy.

Sunday, March 30, 2014

My Top 10 Video Games of All Time: #9.


At the end of my third article discussing why gaming is leaving me behind, I promised to make a list of my top 10 games to show that I am not bitter toward gaming itself. I full-heartedly believe video games can be an art form regardless of what critics say and my list contains a number of gaming’s greatest masterpieces. A thing to remember about this list is that it is a record of my personal favorites and not a list of the objectively greatest games of all time. If you disagree then that’s fine with me, we all have different tastes.  So, I invite you to sit back, relax, put on your Power Glove and Mind Link (little known Atari reference for the uninitiated), and get ready for a discussion of some of my favorite video games of all time…

Just for your information, all of these articles may contain spoilers…

9. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

In Geek circles, there is always that ridicule for picking anything new as a favorite; but, in this case, Brawl is most assuredly the best out of the trilogy. The first Super Smash Bros. was an amazing and ground breaking game on the Nintendo 64 and brought many a gamer’s dreams to life by pitting everybody’s favorite Nintendo characters against each other in a fighting game. No longer were arguments about who would win in a fight between Link and Mario fought with words and dissipated by the changing of the subject, now these characters were placed in a virtual arena to determine the winner. Every gamer I knew played this game until their thumbs ached and then they played it some more.



Then, along came Melee which was an improvement on the original in every way. More characters, arenas, mini-games, and challenges were added to fuel gaming addiction everywhere. It really was a perfect game; however, it was not perfect enough and this idea was perpetuated by the release of Brawl on the Nintendo Wii. This game did what the other games were incapable of doing: allowing for the battle between Mario and Sonic.

Modern day gamers who grew up in the era of Playstation and Xbox do not understand the epic nature of such a battle. Sonic and Mario were, for the longest time, bitter enemies on two competing consoles never able to meet. The seven year old in me went berserk with the prospect. In addition to fulfilling one of my gaming desires, Brawl really is a great game with a lot of replay value. The traditional gameplay and modes are there in addition to the extremely entertaining Subspace Emissary. Super Smash Bros. Brawl might be one of the newest games on the list but it definitely deserves be counted among the best.     

Check out #10    

No comments:

Post a Comment