Musings of a Christian Geek about the Word, Geek Culture, Science, Music, Movies, and anything that is deemed noteworthy.

Sunday, May 19, 2013

The 15 Greatest Christian Rock Bands: #11

11. Bride

Out of all the spots on this list, number 11 is probably the most contested. First, I had another band at this place but as I wrote their article, I decided the band belonged higher on the list. Also, I had originally contemplated putting either DeGarmo & Key or Resurrection Band here and, while each of these bands were pioneers, their influence on the market has seemed to wane. I haven’t met too many people who even know these bands let alone know any of their songs. This is why I eventually settled on Bride, a band who has a sizeable fan base today.

Bride formed in the early 1980s and was pioneer in Christian hard rock. The band had many different sounds over the years. They started as a speed metal band; however, they found their stride and success in the late 1980s and early 1990s with a hard rock sound reminiscent of bands like Guns and Roses. By the late nineties, they exhibited more of a post-grunge/alternative sound and it was during this era, I got introduced to the band; however, I will admit, I have never been a huge fan of Bride.

While I might not be a big fan, I can appreciate their influence on Christian rock. As a member of a couple small local bands in the Christian rock scene myself, I would always run into band members and the like who would name Bride as one of their influences. In addition, Bride has shown through their many style changes that Christian rock musicians do not have to limit themselves to just one sound.

Favorite song: The Worm 

No comments:

Post a Comment